Friday, October 31, 2014

Boo Box of Goodies

I made this box of goodies for the kids of a coworker. 
The box is a drink carrier from Sonic. I covered the bottom portion with paper and added some ribbon and other embellishments cut from the paper. I added gatorade with "poison" labels, microwave popcorn that I wrapped with paper, and cellophane tubes of "dehydrated newt eyes"(chocolate eyeballs) and "tooth of wolf" (candy corn). All the paper was from the Wicked Merchant collection by My Mind's Eye.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

M&M matchbook

I made some Halloween matchbook treats for coworkers and my Lifegroup ladies. 

I was able to get 3 out of an 8 1/2' x 11" piece of cardstock. Cut the cardstock in strips measuring 2 7/8" x 8 1/2". Then score them at 3/4", 4 1/2" and 5 1/4". Fold up the 3/4" score and place the edge of the candy wrapper in and secure with a staple. Then fold along your other score lines and fold over and tuck in just above the staple to secure. You can decorate them with paper, ribbons, stickers or embellishments. 

I used the Batty for You set from Stampin' Up! to stamp my pumpkin stamp that says "You light up the place with that smile on your face". I then used my circle punches to punch out the stamped image, punch a bigger black circle for contrast, and layered them on an orange scallop circle that I placed over a strip of patterned paper.

Every time I see M&M's, I think about a funny story when I was working with kindergarten students. At the beginning of the year, I was testing the students to see which letters of the alphabet they knew. Sadly, one little girl didn't know any of the letters. But when I pointed to "m" she said "they're on M&M's!" I told her that indeed they were on "M" and "M's", so what letter did she think it was. She said, "I don't know. I just know they're on M&M's!"

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Fall Leaves

I was in the mood to do a little crafting, so I made this leaf card. I don't seem to find the time to craft like I used to. I guess, like everybody, I've just got too much going on. It's always fun to steal a little time to be creative and it seems like it's easier to find time in the fall and winter. 
The stamps are from the Many Thanks set from Close to My Heart and the ink is Autumn Leaves Kaleidacolor. It's been a long time since I used a spectrum pad. The colors blend better when you use a brayer to pick up from the ink pad and apply to your stamps, but I didn't bother with that. I placed my leaves on a swatch of burlap to add a little texture.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Oh, the HORROR!

I finally finished my Halloween Horror Book Library Display! I included the old dictionary that I cut the ghost face from. That was easy, but a little labor intensive.

I drew the face on card stock and cut it out to use as a stencil. I traced the pattern on the page I wanted (that had the entry for poltergeist) and cut through several pages of the book with a craft knife. After that, I glued the top 2 face pages together, then added my card stock stencil behind them (basically building a sandwich.) Then I added some thin, flexible wire to the card stock face and extending it down to where the neck of the face would be. That will give it the ability to stand on it's own, or you can fold it down for storage. After that, I glued the rest of my dictionary "face pages" to the back of my cardstock face to cover the back. The bottom, right of the page kept flipping up from the weight, so I added 3 mini staples right at the bottom of the face, above the "neck". That gave it the weight it needed and also helped secure my wire in place. Sorry, I didn't think to take pics as I was making it!

In addition to the dictionary, I included some books on Potions and Poisons and Curses and Spells. I found the printable book covers on Pinterest. Then I added some old spice bottles with labels from scrapbook paper that I had at home. 

I made an "Oh, the Horror" banner from some Halloween scrapbook paper and finished it off with some creepy cloth, spiderwebs, rats, birds, a skull, and this candelabra, which I added battery powered tea lights to. I think it came out great, and hopefully, it will entice some students to read a great horror story!